In my daydreams, my craft room is a fabulous, inspirational work space.
The reality: not so much.
My work space consisted of a dated corner desk, given to me a few years ago, a large shelving unit, a whole lot of bins, and wire rack shelving. The thing is, this isn’t really a craft room. Its a craft-office-production-blogging-run-my-life-from-here room. I spend a lot of time in this room, and it was just not a pleasant place to be spending a good part of every day.
I have been oohing and ahhing over the Pottery Barn’s white office furniture for a while now. But in the effort to live with less, and step away from consumerism, I was determined to manage with what I had. The time had come to do something to make it actually work for me.
Restyling the Desk and Storage
Both the desk and the shelves are as sturdy as they can be, made primarily of oak. The styling on the desk made it look very 70’s. And the curved desktop, while it looks ginormous, doesn’t provide a good place to spread out. I wanted a long, straight desk top to work on. Here is the original desk, after I had started decontruction. The curved edges were contributing to the 70’s vibe, so I replaced then with squared-edged 1x2s. Easy peasy; all it took was a hammer and finishing nails.
Once I had all the edging off, I removed the corner piece and the tops of the base pieces. This left me with the bases for the new, eight foot long desk top. It’s awesome. I glued 1x2s onto the plywood for the edging, and then used the existing cleats in the bases to attach the new top.
I was recently given a large shelving unit (free is good), and I’d been mulling over how to make the two pieces appear as if they belonged together. I butted it up against the desk, and notched the desktop so they look as if they were made to be together. The only problem was the traditional style of the shelving in no way matched the desk. But I had a solution to that: paint and hardware.
If you have several disparate pieces, the quickest, easiest way to make them look cohesive is to paint them all the same color. Then put the same kind of hardware on all of them. I wanted long, black cup pulls that would hide the cut-in handles on the desk bases. I browsed online for a few days, and ironically, found the handles on Pottery Barn’s website. Sadly, they didn’t have them in black, just polished nickel. So I sanded and painted the hardware, too. The most durable paint to use on hardware is appliance paint; it’s made to stick to metal. Just be sure to sand down the shine on the hardware before you paint it.
Finally, after 4 long days of deconstruction, reconstruction, and hardware painting, I was ready to paint the furniture! I used a warm white with a slight gray undertone. Then I painted the wall behind it Robin’s Egg Blue. I love how the white just pops against the blue-green. I added the hardware, and I finally had a beautiful and functional work space! It’s so long, I was not able to get it into one picture! Iam so happy to have a this new desk to spread out on, and I’m LOVING the look of my newly restyled workspace!
The restyling of the furniture cost $93, most of which was the cost of hardware. That’s compared to the $3200 price tag for the Pottery Barn “Logan” office suite. And mine has a bigger desktop! I’m very proud of myself for taking the time to really think about how to use what I already owned. I made it functional and pretty, rather than just tossing it out the door to buy something new. It kept this furniture out of the landfill, saved me a ton of money, and I have a room I don’t want to leave.
Stop back by next week and check out my reupholstered desk chair. I took a $5 thrift store find from drab to fab with $10 worth of fabric! It’s easier than you think it!